Recently I posted about the challenges of using a write only port. Then I followed that up with another posting that illustrated the use of C++ to encapsulate the necessary coding nastiness. Hopefully, these two postings conveyed the general ideas – defining the problem and outlining a solution. However, one aspect of the solution was not addressed: the proposed code was not reentrant … Reentrancy … Read More
Posts tagged with 'drivers'
I recently wrote about write-only ports and discussed how they worked and the challenges presented to software developers who need to program them. The solutions proposed were quite straightforward, but the challenge remained to ensure that all the code utilizing the ports complied with the requirements. I commented at the time that there are several ways to mandate the correct handing of write-only … Read More
I often joke that my job puts me in a difficult position, as I am a software guy and a very large proportion of Mentor Graphics employees are hardware design specialists; I am consorting with the “the enemy”. Although I am making a light-hearted comment, there is, sadly, something of an “us and them” attitude between software and hardware teams in many companies. It is in everybody’s … Read More
Welcome to part two of my four-part (part one) ESC 2010 blog series. Today’s topic: shifts in the industry. One of the biggest trends I observed at the show was the start of a paradigm shift in the evolution of Electronic Design Automation (EDA) software companies and their products. EDA software companies have traditionally provided the software tools and services to create modern day semiconductors, … Read More
OS, Operating System, middleware, Android, app, Mil-Aero, Milaero, Military, Aerospace, drivers, Mentor, Mentor Graphics, app-driven, Mentor.com, apps, Google, Engineer, Hardware, SoC, System on Chip, Software, soldier
Smart Energy Profile (SEP) 2.0 specification released – What this means to you?
Anil Khanna (Posted 5/15/13)
When an Innovative Plan Works!
Jamie Little (Posted 5/14/13)
Colin Walls (Posted 5/13/13)
Where Is The Manufacturing World Coming To?
Michael Ford (Posted 5/16/13)
Retain your existing investment in assembly programs even if you change your machines
Mark Laing (Posted 5/14/13)
How do you manage your assembly variants?
Mark Laing (Posted 5/8/13)
Part 1: The 2012 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
Harry Foster (Posted 5/8/13)
Those nasty wire’s and reg’s in Verilog
Dave Rich (Posted 5/3/13)
Getting AMP’ed Up on the IEEE Low-Power Standard
Dennis Brophy (Posted 4/29/13)
Why Not Just Shove a Heatsink on Top of it? Part 2: Heat Flow Budgets
Robin Bornoff (Posted 5/15/13)
Why Not Just Shove a Heatsink on Top of it? Part 1
Robin Bornoff (Posted 5/13/13)
Hot Off the Press
Nazita Saye (Posted 5/3/13)
PADS Tips and Tricks: Building a PCB Decal with Polar Patterns
Jim Martens (Posted 5/13/13)
Interactive Routing in the PADS ES Suite
Jim Martens (Posted 5/9/13)
Schematic Capture in the PADS ES Suite video release
Gary Lameris (Posted 5/3/13)
U.S. DOT launches large V2V and V2I test
John Day (Posted 8/23/12)
Did you know this?
John Day (Posted 6/25/12)
Why aren’t tools from different suppliers easier to integrate?
John Day (Posted 6/19/12)
Instant Replay for Debugging SoC Level Simulations
Mark Olen (Posted 12/13/11)
GENIVI development strategy requires competitors to cooperate
John Day (Posted 11/10/11)
ARM Development Conference
Colin Walls (Posted 7/4/11)
- SPA w Karpaczu said I am often to blogging and i actually recognize yo... in PCB Developers are the Unsung Heroes of Innovation!
- Colleen said Excellent blog you have got here.. It's difficult ... in PCB Developers are the Unsung Heroes of Innovation!
- Dave Rich said I know a few companies that have gone to the troub... in SystemVerilog Coding Guidelines
- Linc Jepson said Dave, It's almost 4 years after this post. As fa... in SystemVerilog Coding Guidelines
- simmons10 vigorda said What to Look for in a Hard Drive That You Are Purc... in Shortening Design Cycles With Concurrent Engineering
- simmons10 vigorda said What to Look for in a Hard Drive That You Are Purc... in PCB Developers are the Unsung Heroes of Innovation!
- Emerald Winburn said I like a lot the way of your writing, I think that... in PCB Developers are the Unsung Heroes of Innovation!
- jak długo gotować jajko na twardo said Thanks, very good jobs! Nice posts!... in PCB Developers are the Unsung Heroes of Innovation!
- HMR said I am a bit worried some publications I have recent... in A Load of HVAC TLAs
- Byron Blackmore said A project XML file will have a element, and an as... in FloTHERM and its new XML neutral file format
Blogs by Design Area
- Embedded Software
- Valor MSS PCB Manufacturing Systems Solutions
- Electrical & Wire Harness Design
- Functional Verification
- IC Design
- Mechanical Analysis
- PCB Design Software & Tools
- System Modeling
- Vehicle System Design
Mentor Blog Authors
- Jim Martens
- Harry Foster
- John Day
- J VanDomelen
- Nazita Saye
- Dave Rich
- Michael Ford
- Robin Bornoff
- Dennis Brophy
- Mike Jensen
- Colin Walls
- Tom Fitzpatrick
- Mark Laing
- Andrew Patterson
- Phil Burr
- Matt Radochonski
- Anil Khanna
- Kamran Shah
- Gary Lameris
- Randall Myers
- Christopher Hallinan
- Jamie Little
- Brad Dixon
- Ricardo Anguiano
- Gene Forte