Mentor Graphics Announces FloEFD Targeting New Applications and Localized Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) for Higher Productivity and Efficiency
WILSONVILLE, Ore., November 28, 2011—Mentor Graphics Corporation (NASDAQ: MENT) today announced the next generation of the FloEFDTM concurrent computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation product addressing a broader range of real-world challenges such as radiation, combustion and hypersonic flows. Its intuitive user interface is now available in the most popular languages in the engineering world such as German, French, Japanese and Chinese, thereby increasing engineering efficiency because users will be able to work in their native language. With unparalleled ease-of-use, the FloEFD product empowers mechanical engineers who may not be experts in general fluid dynamics or thermal simulation to effectively conduct such analyses and to create better products faster.
Bronswerk Heat Transfer BV, based in Nijkerk, Netherlands, is a manufacturer of market-leading and innovative heat transfer and fluid flow systems for the energy and process industries. Their engineering team developed a new generation of efficient air-cooled cooling systems that are superior to other products on the market. “We chose FloEFD, a proven Concurrent CFD toolset for analysis and validation of our Whiz-wheel fan,” said Guus Bertels, associate director of advanced design and analysis at Bronswerk. “Over the past few years we have used both CFD tools and physical measurements to characterize the behavior, particularly the aerodynamics, of large air-cooled cooling systems. We have learned that Concurrent CFD often can produce data that would be impossible to acquire with measurements, due to physical constraints, the Heisenberg principle, and other factors, therefore, we have been able to produce a truly revolutionary design. Our Whizz-wheel based cooling systems are breaking all industry records for energy efficiency, noise reduction and weight savings.”
“Our latest version of FloEFD concurrent CFD addresses the key challenges our customers require by providing advanced simulation and analyses,” said Erich Buergel, general manager of the Mentor Graphics® Mechanical Analysis Division. “Our easy-to-use yet powerful multiCAD-embedded CFD solution provides straightforward simulations that help users at all technical levels to quickly identify design problems and improve product quality.”
The FloEFD product is available with two new optional modules, providing the following features for improved productivity and efficiency:
- FloEFD with “Advanced Module” for Combustion and Hypersonic Flows:
- The FloEFD tool can simulate combustion of gas-phase mixtures (fuel and oxidizer) using the equilibrium approach. To effectively analyze such cases, the equilibrium model is extended for pre-mixed combustion at the onset and upon mixing gases. Also the FloEFD product can now analyze physical changes in airflow such as molecular dissociation and ionization.
- FloEFD with “HVAC Module” for Radiation Flow and Comfort Parameters:
- Advanced radiation model for semi-transparent layers: This feature supports previous customer requests for automotive and HVAC applications by extending the radiation models to semi-transparent solid materials such as glass and plexiglass. Applications where this feature is valuable include space heaters, automotive lighting, commercial lighting devices, glass walls and windows in structures.
- Comfort parameters for thermal efficiency and ventilation: The following comfort parameters can be measured with the FloEFD product: predicted mean vote, draft temperature, predicted per cent dissatisfied, flow angle, and local air quality index for fluids.
The new modules are available for all FloEFD products, including the FloEFD product for ProENGINEER and Creo Elements/Pro, the FloEFD product for CATIA V5, and the FloEFD for NX™ product.
Concurrent CFD for Advanced Productivity and Reliability
The Mentor Graphics Concurrent CFD methodology can reduce simulation time by as much as 65 to 75 percent compared to traditional CFD tools. It enables users to optimize product performance and reliability while reducing physical prototyping and development costs without time or cost penalties. The FloEFD product is an established technology and supported by a dedicated CFD development team. Mentor Graphics is the world’s third largest general purpose CFD provider with the largest knowledge base in electronics cooling.
For more information on the Mentor Graphics FloEFD technology and other products from Mentor’s mechanical analysis division, visit the company website at www.mentor.com/mechanical.
About Mentor Graphics
Mentor Graphics Corporation (NASDAQ: MENT) is a world leader in electronic hardware and software design solutions, providing products, consulting services and award-winning support for the world’s most successful electronic, semiconductor and systems companies. Established in 1981, the company reported revenues over the last 12 months of about $915 million. Corporate headquarters are located at 8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, Oregon 97070-7777. World Wide Web site: http://www.mentor.com/.
(Mentor Graphics is a registered trademark and FloEFD is a trademark of Mentor Graphics Corporation. All other company or product names are the registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective owners.)
For more information, please contact: