IBM Cell/B.E. Processors
Mentor Graphics provides a full complement of embedded system development support for application using IBM Cell/B.E. processors, including:
Nucleus OS - Real-Time Kernel and Middleware
The Cell/B.E. Processor is an excellent target for Nucleus OS. The Cell processor is a high performance, heterogeneous multicore device with a 64-bit Power Processor Element (PPE) that acts as a control processor, allocating data intensive tasks to multiple high performance SIMD Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs).
System Performance is maximized through efficient Operating System resource usage provided by the fast real-time Nucleus OS kernel. Task allocation to the SPEs is tightly managed and driven by high-speed DMA access. Low interrupt latency and deterministic scheduling yield hard real-time performance for the Cell/B.E. Processor.
Nucleus OS benefits are a mature kernel, extensive middleware support, and the worldwide acceptance demonstrated by its inclusion in billions of products from thousands of customers worldwide.
Nucleus OS for Cell/B.E. includes:
- Complete real-time operating system
- Kernel and Protected Application Models
- Nucleus PLUS and POSIX APIs
- SPE Register access
- Integrated IBM LIBSPE2 support
- Static and Dynamic SPE operation
- Nucleus Middleware Available
EDGE Developer Suite for Cell
Developer Suite for Cell/B.E processors, is based on Eclipse, and includes:
- EDGE IDE - Project manager, builder and editor
- Integration of IBM XL C/C++ compiler - Linux host
- EDGE Debugger - Comprehensive source level debugger with advanced features for Cell/B.E.
- Integration with IBM Full System Simulator
- Upgraded Multicore GDB Monitor for multicore access
- Source level debug for APE code
- SPE Event Visualization ? Hot Spot Analysis
- Customizable Codelets, EDGE Channels, Viewers
- EDGE Hot Spot Analysis - Supports visualization of SPE performance measurement