Explore Hardware and Software strategies to design Smart Energy Profile (SEP) 2.0 Compliant Embedded Devices
On-demand Web Seminar
The Smart Energy Profile (SEP) 2.0 is quickly becoming the go-to standard for developing innovative connected products and services for the Smart Grid. Information flow between meters, smart appliances, and energy management systems must seamlessly occur in an open, standardized, and interoperable fashion. The SEP 2.0 specification establishes a standard for communication interoperability and security for networked appliances and meters participating in a smart grid. In this session you will learn about the requirements to develop a SEP 2.0 compliant device and explore the hardware and software strategies you can apply to address the connectivity and security requirements laid out by the specification.
What You Will Learn
In this session you will learn:
- What does SEP 2.0 mean for your next design?
- What kind of hardware should you pick for your device?
- What kind of software makes the most sense?
- What challenges does the SEP 2.0 specification introduce to your design?
- How to minimize the Bill of material and the development times to minimize the per unit costs of your device?
- How to effectively manage the power consumption of your device?
About the Presenter
Srinath Balaraman is a Software Development Engineer in the Embedded Software Division of Mentor Graphics. In his 10 years at Mentor, his main area of focus has been design and development of networking and security products for the Nucleus Operating System. Srinath holds an MS degree in Computer and Information Sciences from the University of South Alabama and a Master’s degree in Management from Devi Ahilya University, Indore, INDIA.
What do I need to watch and hear this web seminar?
Mentor Graphics’ web seminars are delivered using Adobe Connect. You will be able to login to the seminar room 15 minutes prior to the start time on the day of the presentation. You can hear the audio using your computer’s speakers via VoIP (Voice over IP) and background music will play prior to the beginning of the presentation.
Detailed system requirements
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.3 or later
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
Mac OS X, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.4, 10.8
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6; OpenSuSE 11.3
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- Apple supported devices: iPad, iPad2, iPad3; iPhone 4 and 4 S, iPod touch (3rd generation minimum recommended)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 4.3.x, 5.x, or 6.x (5.x or higher recommended)
- Android supported devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1), ASUS Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7”) , Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2, Nexus 7
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.2 and higher
- Android AIR Runtime required: 3.2 or higher
- Bandwidth: 512Kbps for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications. Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.