Implementing Android Based Automotive Infotainment (IVI) Systems
On-demand Web Seminar
Android has successfully been deployed in production infotainment (IVI) systems as the primary operating system and also in conjunction with another operating system. Learn about the market needs driving the adoption of Android and the technical options for incorporating Android into an IVI system. The options for in IVI systems includes porting Android to run directly on an SoC as the sole operating system, running Android in conjunction with another operating system such as Linux with use of a hypervisor, or making use of Android via a Linux Container. By attending this session you will be in a better position to select the right technical solution for your needs by understanding the differing development efforts and trade-offs in level of isolation and functionality each technical approach brings.
What You Will Learn
- The business needs driving Android adoption in IVI systems.
- The technical and business challenges of using Android in IVI systems.
- The technical options for using Android in IVI systems including hypervisors and Linux containers.
- The trade-offs between technical implementation options related to your business needs.
About the Presenter
Andrew Patterson is Business Development Director for Mentor Graphics embedded division, specializing in the automotive market. Prior to Mentor Andrew has spent over 20 years in the Design Automation market specializing in a wide range of technologies including wire harness design, automotive simulation model development, virtual prototyping, and mechatronics. Currently he is focused on working with the GENIVI industry alliance, and leading Mentor’s Infotainment and in-vehicle Electronic Cluster and Telematics solutions. Andrew holds a master’s degree in Engineering and Electrical Sciences from Cambridge University, UK.
Who Should Attend
- Automotive Tier One Suppliers and OEM business unit managers considering Android use for Infotainment
- Infotainment system designers evaluating different operating systems for use in IVI systems
- Developers of tools, services and solutions for the automotive industry
What do I need to watch and hear this web seminar?
Mentor Graphics’ web seminars are delivered using Adobe Connect. You will be able to login to the seminar room 15 minutes prior to the start time on the day of the presentation. You can hear the audio using your computer’s speakers via VoIP (Voice over IP) and background music will play prior to the beginning of the presentation.
Detailed system requirements
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.3 or later
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
Mac OS X, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.4, 10.8
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6; OpenSuSE 11.3
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- Apple supported devices: iPad, iPad2, iPad3; iPhone 4 and 4 S, iPod touch (3rd generation minimum recommended)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 4.3.x, 5.x, or 6.x (5.x or higher recommended)
- Android supported devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1), ASUS Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7”) , Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2, Nexus 7
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.2 and higher
- Android AIR Runtime required: 3.2 or higher
- Bandwidth: 512Kbps for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications. Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.