Real-Time OS deployed on more than 3 billion devices
Nucleus® is the first real time operating system integrated with power management features (DVFS, deep sleep modes, and power/clock gating), enabling engineers to take full advantage of the latest power saving technologies in today’s silicon.
A proven, stable, and optimized RTOS, Nucleus is currently deployed on more than 3 billion embedded devices. Using Nucleus, developers can deploy a kernel as small as 2k on a wide selection of hardware including MCU, DSP, FPGA, and MPU.
Key RTOS Features and Benefits
- Stable deterministic kernel with a small memory footprint (as low as 2 kb)
- Process model for memory partitioning to increase product reliability
- Power management APIs for low-power design
- Industrial Bus (I2C, SPI) connectivity
- USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 connectivity
- Networking and wireless connectivity
Nucleus RTOS is available in the following configurations:
- Nucleus Source Code: Kernel, drivers and libraries
- An integrated Eclipse-based IDE (Sourcery CodeBench) and software trace with the Nucleus ReadyStart edition
- A full-featured binary version of Nucleus RTOS, optimized for size to fit in the internal memory of an MCU
- Free software for select hardware for companies with annual revenues under $1 million
Learn More: Nucleus Real Time OS
Nucleus supports leading embedded architectures, including:
- NIOS II
Demonstrations and downloads
White Paper: The introduction of Nucleus Process Model to the Nucleus® Real Time Operating System (RTOS) maintains the key characteristics of an RTOS and adds many of the benefits of a large scale OS, such as dynamic... View White Paper
White Paper: In the world of smart phones and tablet PCs memory might be cheap, but in the more constrained universe of deeply embedded devices, it is still a precious resource. This is one of the many reasons why most... View White Paper
Nucleus user forums — discussions, design tips, sample designs and more. Visit
Honeywell chose Nucleus Real Time OS to develop its critical Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System because of Nucleus' aviation industry reputation for reliability, efficiency, and scalability.
The Nucleus operating system provided Garmin with the full source code and flexible business model they needed to develop the CNX80 Avionics Navigator system.
ZOLL chose Nucleus to build its AED Plus™ automated external defibrillator, based on previous Nucleus design successes and its ability to reduce costs.