Controlling EMI in High-Speed Designs
On-demand Web Seminar
Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) has become a much larger problem in recent years. Fast edge rates on signals, coupled with the proliferation of high volumes of low-cost electronic devices, have made EMI issues extremely common.
The biggest effect EMI has on a design is that you can't ship a product that isn't passing government requirements for radiated emissions. But even if you manage to get the product to pass, and it is still radiating, it means reduced margins for your signals and possible reliability issues, and usually increased susceptibility to outside noise as well. Most of these problems can be avoided simply by making sure all your currents are travelling in a closed loop.
We will introduce and demonstrate HyperLynx DRC to find and eliminate EMI issues quickly and easily in PCB designs.
What You Will Learn
This seminar will highlight the common issues that are known to cause electromagnetic interference (EMI) and how to prevent these issues on PCB designs. HyperLynx DRC is an automated advanced electrical rule checker used to help find these EMI issues and meet the requirements for "Electrical Sign Off" verification.
About the Presenter
Mike Ashbaugh is a Senior Applications Engineer for Mentor Graphics Global Distribution Channel. He has 24 years of professional experience beginning with 10 years of hardware design followed by 14 years of engineering sales as a Senior Applications Engineer in the EDA industry.
His primary focus most recently, has been "virtual prototyping" and supporting the solutions within the HyperLynx Family of PCB analysis tools. The EDA industry continues to evolve, providing solutions to customers’ ever increasing product design complexities and system challenges. These challenges create an exciting opportunity in the disciplines of high-speed transmission line analysis, signal integrity, power integrity, EMI, thermal and 3D EM analysis.
Who Should Attend
- Electrical Engineers
- PCB Designers
- System Engineers
- Engineering managers responsible for Electromagnetic Compatibility of PCB designs
- HyperLynx Family Overview
- Common Causes of EMI in PCBs
- How to Reduce and Eliminate EMI
- HyperLynx DRC Demonstration
- 23 Standard HL DRC Rules
What do I need to watch and hear this web seminar?
Mentor Graphics’ web seminars are delivered using Adobe Connect. You will be able to login to the seminar room 15 minutes prior to the start time on the day of the presentation. You can hear the audio using your computer’s speakers via VoIP (Voice over IP) and background music will play prior to the beginning of the presentation.
Detailed system requirements
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.3 or later
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
Mac OS X, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.4, 10.8
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6; OpenSuSE 11.3
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- Apple supported devices: iPad, iPad2, iPad3; iPhone 4 and 4 S, iPod touch (3rd generation minimum recommended)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 4.3.x, 5.x, or 6.x (5.x or higher recommended)
- Android supported devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1), ASUS Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7”) , Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2, Nexus 7
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.2 and higher
- Android AIR Runtime required: 3.2 or higher
- Bandwidth: 512Kbps for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications. Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.