Lean NPI Implementation: Before and After
On-demand Web Seminar
In this final part of our Lean NPI webinar series we will see how adopting a Lean NPI business process has improved and enhanced the operation of a real-life PCB design and EMS service provider.
Optimum Design Associates have been working closely with Mentor Graphics to study their existing business process model for product design and hand-off to manufacture. During this study, areas of the process were identified where changes could be implemented. These changes would align Optimum’s NPI process with the Best Practice Lean NPI model we saw in part one of the webinar series.
The webinar itself will be presented by Optimum’s President, Nick Barbin, who has kindly offered to share the experiences encountered during the transition to a Lean NPI business process.
What You Will Learn
- The development of the Lean NPI process model at Optimum
- Using ODB++ as a key element in achieving Lean NPI
- How to use concurrent DFM during PCB design
- The management of Valor NPI Engineering Rule Files (ERF)
- Tracking and measurement of the improvements resulting from adopting Lean NPI
- Future enhancements to the Lean NPI process at Optimum as part of continuous improvement
About the Presenters
Mr. Barbin is President and co-founder of Optimum Design Associates. He is an accomplished PCB designer with more than two decades of experience. He is a winner of the PCB Design West Top Gun contest and member of the Top Gun Hall of Fame.
James Dowding is the Technical Marketing Engineer for the Valor DFM Division of Mentor Graphics. James has 25 years’ electronics industry experience as a PCB Design Engineer working for various PCB design service providers, manufacturers, and electronic product development companies, including Nokia. James is an accomplished PCB design authority and over the span of his career has been instrumental in developing PCB design and quality processes, manufacturing data hand-off procedures and design for manufacture (DFM) system management. More recently James has specialised in DFM and Lean New Product Introduction (NPI) Best Practices
Who Should Attend
- PCB designers
- NPI engineers
- Production engineers
- PCB design / product development managers
- Project managers
- Program managers
- Supply chain
What do I need to watch and hear this web seminar?
Mentor Graphics’ web seminars are delivered using Adobe Connect. You will be able to login to the seminar room 15 minutes prior to the start time on the day of the presentation. You can hear the audio using your computer’s speakers via VoIP (Voice over IP) and background music will play prior to the beginning of the presentation.
Detailed system requirements
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.3 or later
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
Mac OS X, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.4, 10.8
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6; OpenSuSE 11.3
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- Apple supported devices: iPad, iPad2, iPad3; iPhone 4 and 4 S, iPod touch (3rd generation minimum recommended)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 4.3.x, 5.x, or 6.x (5.x or higher recommended)
- Android supported devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1), ASUS Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7”) , Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2, Nexus 7
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.2 and higher
- Android AIR Runtime required: 3.2 or higher
- Bandwidth: 512Kbps for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications. Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.
Enhancing Manufacturing Data Preparation and Output with Lean NPI
During the Lean NPI process, engineers can enhance ODB++ data by adding extra intelligence to define exactly what is to be manufactured without the need...
Integrating Assembly Panel Design in the NPI Process
This webinar details Mentor Graphics’ best practice NPI process flow and the integration of the Assembly Panel Design tool within that flow. Included is a demonstration of the Valor NPI Assembly Panel...
Managing DFM Validation for PCB Assembly and Test Processes
Managing DFM Validation for PCB Assembly and Test Processes Design for Assembly and Test is an essential stage in the NPI process. Using Valor NPI to perform DFM analysis during the design flow eliminates...