Create and engineer ready-for-manufacture harness designs and modular sub-assemblies
Capital ModularXC enables harness engineers to create fully detailed, validated and manufacturing-ready harness designs and modular sub-assemblies.
Buildable harness variants (including diagrams and BOMs) are automatically generated, based on user defined choices for decomposition – Composite-Derivative decomposition, or Modular decomposition. Modular decomposition offers both functional module decomposition, for example “tail lamps”, and production module decomposition, for example “ECU connector sub-assembly”. Conceived from the ground up to be highly configurable, Capital ModularXC allows companies to tailor the tool to meet their precise needs, both in terms of graphical outputs and they way designs are created and validated.
Functional assignation algorithms identify modules based on codes assigned to the wires, then automatically identify and configure all related components – connectors, protections, clips, etc – to complete the definition of each module. Production assignation algorithms identify and configure the set of manufacturing sub-assembly modules, based on user-defined best-practice rules and constraints to increase manufacturing efficiencies and reduce costs.
Features and Benefits
- Graphical harness design environment
- Automated harness engineering, validation and reporting
- Support for mass customization and KSK (customer-specific harness)
- Automated module breakdown, component selection, BOM & drawing creation
- Collaborative Design Merge raises efficiency of multi-site, parallel design
- Graphical Styling Templates provide multiple, ‘single-click’, drawing formats
- Powerful data integration interfaces with major MCAD platforms
- Seamless integration with other Capital tools
Automated Engineering and Validation
Capital ModularXC’s selection routines automatically select terminals, seals, cavity plugs, tapes, tubes, heat-shrink sleeves and all other harness components to create a full manufacturing bill-of-materials.
Multiple, configurable, design-rule-checks are provided to ensure the final design meets the organization’s defined best-practices. Automated Design comparison facilities identify graphical and specification changes between different revisions.
Modules, Options and Variants Management
Capital ModularXC provides parallel management of functional modules, production modules, derivatives and their code relationships, with automated creation of technical modules and assignation of module codes to harness objects. A wide variety of module assignment algorithms are provided and these can be extended with customized algorithms.
Collaborative Design Merge
Design changes from MCAD, KBL and other tools can be merged into existing harness designs continuously - without overwriting locally mastered design details and attributes. “Change policies” are used to control how Capital ModularXC should respond to design changes originating from multiple sources.
Graphical Styling Templates
Capital ModularXC can render multiple graphical representations from the same design via configurable Graphical Styling Templates. Using this, companies can create reference designs conforming to consistent in-house standards and styles, then automatically re-render the design – on demand - into the required styles of their customer/supplier organizations.
Project and Data Management
Capital ModularXC is supplied complete with a data-management system that provides sophisticated control of both design data and the design process, to manage the complex data interactions required in creating harnesses.
Configurable release level controls, design locking, audit trail, user permissioning, and many other facilities support the management of designs and users.
MCAD Integration and Third Party Data Exchange
The data-centric architecture of Capital is designed to facilitate change processes. Multiple change management capabilities are provided such as tabular & graphical difference reports; version management; and compatibility control (“build lists”).
Extend Capital ModularXC
Wire Harness Automation
Capital FormboardXC extends Capital HarnessXC and Capital ModularXC functionality to provide full-scale diagram capabilities linked to the baseline HarnessXC or ModularXC drawings – changes made in one diagram are automatically updated in the other diagram eliminating a common source of error. Fixtures and other manufacturing elements can be placed interactively, or automatically using custom design rules, ensuring best-practice manufacturing engineering. Graphical style templates speed the design process by supporting the concurrent design of diagrams with different visual content – the engineer defines the bundle layout, connectors & wiring and the style template facility automatically generates the required graphical annotation entities – symbols, text, fonts, auto-colored insertion-views, etc.
Benefits and Features
- Powerful graphical and design-management environment for authoring formboard designs
- Multiple-view facility allows editing in one diagram (e.g. XC harness drawing ) and automated update in related diagrams (e.g. formboard)
- Multiple-view facility allows creation of different views of formboard and harness drawings – for example, shopfloor view, engineering view, customer view
- Data-management facilities simplify revision management and eliminate transcription errors common to traditional file-based processes
- Data-centric backbone simplifies project & process management, design change, cross-organization communication, and integration with upstream & downstream processes
- Multiple view facility simplifies creation of drawings, automatically updates all related drawings when a change is made
- Automated design rule checks identify problems and enforce best-practice
- Graphical compare facility
Configurable real time metrics to guide engineering decisions
Engineers often have multiple choices as they progress a design , whether at an early architectural optimization stage or for detailed component selection. These choices impact the ultimate cost, profitability, weight, component count, and a variety of other parameters that contribute towards making the best decisions.
Capital Insight gives engineers real time visibility of the impact of their decisions, and allows systematic trade-off studies to be rapidly conducted. Cost, weight and many other metrics can be compared between designs using a variety of graphical and tabular reporting formats. Metrics are easily configured and can be customized to support business objectives and reflect corporate intellectual property.
Benefits and Features
- Easy to use real time metrics display and comparison tool
- Provides on screen feedback to engineers plus formal reporting outputs
- Manages multiple design scenarios for systematic comparison studies
- Highly configurable metrics underpin support of corporate objectives
- Can use data created within Capital and externally
- Helps engineers make the best decisions and maximize their value-add
- Compatible with Capital Topology, Capital Integrator, Capital HarnessXC, Capital ModularXC