Cutting Cost & Time in Harness Manufacturing Process Planning
On-demand Web Seminar
This web seminar focuses on the challenges of wire harness manufacturing process management, and how modern software in this domain can help drive substantial cost savings.
During the seminar, the importance of Materials Requirement Planning (MRP) to large-scale assembly industries is outlined, and then the challenges of developing multi-level BOM’s aligned to multiple manufacturing processes are explained. The impact of harness configuration complexity and design change management are noted. Next, a commercial software application called Capital Harness MPM is explained. This application analyzes harness designs against production capabilities, providing flexible, systematic automation support for harness manufacturing engineers. A brief demonstration is given, showing how hierarchical BOM’s – suitable to drive ERP systems – can be automatically created. Finally the benefits delivered by this software are highlighted, most of which offer valuable cost reduction opportunities to harness makers.
What You Will Learn
- The principles and challenges of wire harness manufacturing process management
- The approach taken by Mentor Graphics to provide software support in this domain
- An understanding of Capital Harness MPM and its manufacturing process modeling capabilities
- The benefits that flow from automatically generating structured harness BOM’s
About the Presenters
Andy Cooper is the Product Architect for Harness and Factory Solutions. With more than 15 years experience in the wire harness industry at Tier1 EDS suppliers (most recently at Lear Corporation), Andy has worked as Design Engineer, Lead Engineer and Program Manager on a number of key platforms with OEMs such as Rover, Land Rover & Jaguar, his last project being the X-Type Jaguar. Andy has been at Mentor 8 years and has worked very closely with numerous T1s and OEMs; in both the Automotive and Aerospace domains, including Honda, Toyota, Ford, Daimler Trucks, Yazaki, JLR Northrop Grumman, Bombardier & Bell Helicopter.
John Judkins – Technical Director for Mentor Graphics’ Integrated Electrical Systems Division – leads the Engineering for Manufacture (EFM) team. This group focuses on software solutions for wire harness product engineering and manufacturing.
John’s career in the electrical wiring systems domain spans over 25 years, beginning in software development with a UK-based automotive wire harness Tier 1. He became IS Systems Development manager before leaving to become a co-founder of Harness Software Limited (HSL), where he developed the original blueprint for Capital H software. HSL was acquired by Mentor Graphics in 2000.
John is one of the founding members of IESD and is a key contributor to the Capital vision and architecture.
Who Should Attend
- Managers of harness manufacturing operations who wish to reduce costs and cycle time
- Harness manufacturing engineers in the automotive, off-road, aerospace and defense industries
- Harness designers who wish to understand the impact of their decisions on manufacturing
- Harness production planners who wish to understand how manufacturing patterns are created
Harness Design, Engineering & Manufacturing Web Seminar Series
Automate to cut time and cost in harness design and manufacturing.
What do I need to watch and hear this web seminar?
Mentor Graphics’ web seminars are delivered using Adobe Connect. You will be able to login to the seminar room 15 minutes prior to the start time on the day of the presentation. You can hear the audio using your computer’s speakers via VoIP (Voice over IP) and background music will play prior to the beginning of the presentation.
Detailed system requirements
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.3 or later
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
Mac OS X, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.4, 10.8
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6; OpenSuSE 11.3
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- Apple supported devices: iPad, iPad2, iPad3; iPhone 4 and 4 S, iPod touch (3rd generation minimum recommended)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 4.3.x, 5.x, or 6.x (5.x or higher recommended)
- Android supported devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1), ASUS Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7”) , Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2, Nexus 7
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.2 and higher
- Android AIR Runtime required: 3.2 or higher
- Bandwidth: 512Kbps for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications. Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.
Automating Functional Module Design for Modular/KSK Harnesses
Understand how Mentor Graphics modular harness design tools allow designers to define each harness as a composite superset and automatically generate the functional harness modules.
Automating Transitions From Logical Design to Physical Implementation
The move from one abstraction level to another transitions concept to implementation. Some of today’s transitions are essentially manual tasks but others can be automated. Examples include network...
Systems Engineering At The Platform Level
This presentation explores how Mentor's Capital software models platform connectivity across abstractions. It shows how new technology allows companies to understand the impact of and respond to changes...