On Semiconductor's automotive products division, located in East Greenwich, Rhode Island, has completed multiple successful tape outs using the Pyxis® Custom IC Router, including a highly integrated, complex power chip. The Pyxis custom router gave ON Semiconductor a 10x improvement in productivity and helped them shave eight weeks from the overall tape out schedule.
“We recently used the Pyxis Custom Router on one of our team’s most complex power chips and were able to reduce the time to route the top level block of the design from two weeks down to a little more than one day. We saw similar productivity boosts throughout many of the blocks of the chip and plan to use the router on all of our future designs.”
Paul Ferrara, East Greenwich Development Center director, ON Semiconductor
- Reduce the development cycle and minimize risk for errors
- Replace manual, schematicdriven layout flow with constraint-driven automation
- 30 to 35 percent of layout time spent in routing
- Critical time-to-market window, requiring a very aggressive development schedule
- Reuse IP blocks with new functionality and other considerations
- Manage ECOs to meet tight schedule
The Solution: The Pyxis Custom Design Platform provides the functionality required to design today’s complex custom ICs. The platform is tuned for analog/ mixed-signal (AMS) and custom digital designs so that extensive customization is not required.
The Results: Pyxis Custom Router helped shave eight weeks from the overall tape out schedule:
- Tool performance resulted in plans to use the router on all future automotive products division designs
- Total routing time on a critical design reduced from 40 to 4 days
- Overall layout time reduced from 22 to 14 weeks
- Top level routing (>500 nets) reduced from 15 to 1.5 days
- Gained significant savings in physical verification time due to DRC and LVS correct routing
“Jabba was the most complex power supply chip our design center had done to date. Because of the importance of our customer, Jabba was our number one priority. It had a critical time-to-market window, requiring a very aggressive development schedule. We absolutely counted on the time savings we thought the Pyxis Custom Router would deliver, based on prior designs.”
John Geyer, IC Layout Manager, ON Semiconductor
xFAB/Pyxis Custom IC Solution
Automated Mentor Flow Quickly Yields High-Quality Portable PDKs for X-FAB.
Pyxis TFT / Flat Panel Display Solutions
In this presentation and demonstration you will see some of the features/functions available with Mentor's Pyxis Custom IC Design solutions that address the unique challenges of TFT/Flat Panel design.
Custom IC Design Schematic Driven Layout Demo
Interested in finding out more about Mentor's market leading IC Design Flow tools? Want to see a demonstration of Schematic Driven Layout in IC Station? If you answered yes to either of these questions,...