CFD Analysis for MCAD Designers - Better Products, Faster
There are currently no dates scheduled for this event. However a recording of a previous session is available as an on-demand web seminar.View This On-Demand Web Seminar Now
For years, CFD analysis has been reserved for specialists. With today’s drive to get higher performing products to market faster, this restriction is no longer acceptable. But new software exists that puts CFD into the designers’ familiar CAD environment and automates the CFD modeling process. The result: Designers get to quickly and easily simulate their designs, perform design variation “what-ifs”, and optimize their product designs, all without costly physical prototypes and re-spins, or the CFD-specialist level of expertise required by classical CFD software.
In this web seminar, renown PLM industry consulting and research company CIMdata, will discuss recent industry trends and business drivers for mechanical product companies. Mentor Graphics will then present a view of their next generation CFD for designers’ product, Concurrent CFD analysis tool FloEFD, followed by a short demo and an opportunity for Q&A from the audience.
What You Will Learn
- How adoption of flow and thermal analysis tools in the early stages of design can help create better, more reliable products, faster
- How CAD-embedded CFD analysis reduces design times
- How changes in fluid flow can dramatically alter a product’s efficiency
- How an engineer can quickly explore ‘what-if’ scenarios to optimize their design
- Why virtual prototyping can outperform physical prototyping
- How fast, accurate, built-in functionality can reduce the need for CFD analysis expertise
About the Presenters
Kenneth B. Amann
Ken Amann, Director of Research, has 40+ years experience in the development of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM), Product Data Management (PDM) information technology (IT) architectures, computer-based engineering applications, document and information management systems, and aerospace engineering. A graduate of Georgia Tech with a Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering, he has held senior positions in PLM marketing, development, and consulting, systems and technology architecture, missile flight dynamics and controls systems, and is currently the Director of Research for CIMdata, Inc. His experience includes evaluating corporate engineering and manufacturing operations, managing PLM programs, recommending collaborative and concurrent engineering and product information management solutions, implementing PLM solutions, and developing and evaluating requests for proposals. As the Managing Director for PricewaterhouseCoopers’ (PwC) Technology Leadership Group, Mr. Amann has conducted research into and evaluated emerging technologies, applications based on those technologies, defined, and described how emerging technologies may be applied to enable leading edge business solutions.
Chris is a Senior Applications Engineer and Thermo-Fluid Engineering Supervisor for the Mechanical Analysis Division (formerly Flomerics) of Mentor Graphics. He is responsible for technical leadership of Mentor’s FloEFD product line in North America.
Prior to Mentor Graphics, Chris worked for NIKA and CD-adapco, starting his career in the commercial CFD industry in 1995. His engineering roles through the years have included consulting and technical support, but his main role and interest is in pre-sales application engineering to assist the sales teams.
Chris received his BS in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin, and his MS in Mechanical Engineering from Texas A&M University.
Who Should Attend
- Research & Design Managers
- Product Managers
- MCAD Design Engineers
- CFD Specialists
- Analysis Managers
What do I need to watch and hear this web seminar?
Mentor Graphics’ web seminars are delivered using Adobe Connect. You will be able to login to the seminar room 15 minutes prior to the start time on the day of the presentation. You can hear the audio using your computer’s speakers via VoIP (Voice over IP) and background music will play prior to the beginning of the presentation.
Detailed system requirements
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.3 or later
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
Mac OS X, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.4, 10.8
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6; OpenSuSE 11.3
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- Apple supported devices: iPad, iPad2, iPad3; iPhone 4 and 4 S, iPod touch (3rd generation minimum recommended)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 4.3.x, 5.x, or 6.x (5.x or higher recommended)
- Android supported devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1), ASUS Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7”) , Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2, Nexus 7
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.2 and higher
- Android AIR Runtime required: 3.2 or higher
- Bandwidth: 512Kbps for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications. Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.
- Enhancing Productivity in Electronics Cooling by incorporating EDA and MCAD Design workflowhttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/introduction-to-flotherm-xt Jun 6, 2013 : Fremont, CA
- Thermal Characterization of Electronic Components & Systemshttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/thermal-characterization-seminar Jun 11, 2013 : Stuttgart, DE
- Thermal Characterization of Electronic Components & Systemshttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/thermal-characterization-seminar Sep 18, 2013 : Frankfurt, DE
- Thermal Characterization of Electronic Components & Systemshttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/thermal-characterization-seminar Nov 13, 2013 : Frankfurt, DE
- FloEFD Software Hands-on Workshophttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/floefd-software-hands-on-workshop Jun 19, 2013 : Frankfurt, Germany - (Electronics Cooling Session)
- FloEFD Software Hands-on Workshophttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/floefd-software-hands-on-workshop Jun 19, 2013 : Frankfurt, Germany - (Mechanical & Electronics Cooling Sessions)
- FloEFD Software Hands-on Workshophttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/floefd-software-hands-on-workshop Jun 19, 2013 : Frankfurt, Germany - (Mechanical Session)
- A Step Change in Automotive System Simulation – 1D/3D Integrationhttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/a-step-change-in-automotive-system-simulation---1d-3d-integration Jul 3, 2013 : Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon, UK
- A Step Change in Mil/Aero System Simulation – 1D/3D Integrationhttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/a-step-change-in-mil-aero-system-simulation---1d-3d-integration Jul 11, 2013 : Mentor Graphics, Newbury, UK