Simulating and Optimizing Mixing Processes in Product Design using CFD
There are currently no dates scheduled for this event. However a recording of a previous session is available as an on-demand web seminar.View This On-Demand Web Seminar Now
Some of the challenges inherent with manifold systems are high temperatures and the uniform mixing of two gases. These issues will be analyzed simultaneously through simulation using Mentor Graphics' CFD analysis software for mechanical engineers FloEFD. The presenter will show that expensive prototypes, test equipment and time to market can all be reduced dramatically with the early implementation of embedded CFD software into a users existing MCAD system. In addition to the speed at which the designer can complete the design, the ultimate product will be less expensive while maintaining optimal performance.
To illustrate this, the presenter will demonstrate how easy it is to prepare a product design for analysis, analyze it and then evaluate the detailed results, The presenter will then go on to show you how to perform "what-if" analysis by simply modifying the MCAD geometry and viewing the simulation results for the new model.
The overall goal is to help you design better quality products with fewer reliability problems quicker than ever before, helping you and your team to reduce costs and improve return on investment.
What You Will Learn
- How CFD software can help you improve your existing equipment design processes
- How to quickly perform analysis using FloEFD’s built-in wizards
- Visualize the mixing process in a virtual 3D environment
- Obtain a better understanding of the impact of design changes and how it can affect the mixing of fluids/gases
- How you can analyze ‘what if’ designs before prototype build in the upfront stage
- How easy it is to provide detailed Microsoft Word and Excel reports to your design and management teams
About the Presenter
Joe Proulx began his employment with Mentor Graphics, formerly Flomerics, as a consultant engineer in July 2005. His main task is performing thermal analysis for Mentor Graphic’s customers. He also participates in training, customer support and application engineering.
Joe’s prior employment was with Sycamore Networks where he was responsible for all aspects of designing the cooling of the company’s products. Along with the use of thermal simulation software, Joe was able work in a thermal lab complete with a thermal imaging camera, wind tunnel, multiple hot wire anemometers, thermocouples and other ubiquitous lab equipment.
Before that, Joe was employed by Degree Controls as thermal consultant. Degree Controls is a complete thermal solutions provider. Joe was responsible for handling customer’s thermal needs from computational thermal analysis to physical flow and temperature measurement.
Prior to his position at Degree Controls, Joe was employed by Cabletron Systems in Rochester, NH. While there, Joe worked as a thermal analyst utilizing Flotherm and a complete thermal lab.
Joe graduated from the University of New Hampshire in 1995 with a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering.
Who Should Attend
- CFD software users involved in product design and analysis
- MCAD Design Engineers
- CFD Consultants
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Users
- Product Design Managers
- Engineers who are currently using MCAD and are interested in a CAD-embedded analysis solution
What do I need to watch and hear this web seminar?
Mentor Graphics’ web seminars are delivered using Adobe Connect. You will be able to login to the seminar room 15 minutes prior to the start time on the day of the presentation. You can hear the audio using your computer’s speakers via VoIP (Voice over IP) and background music will play prior to the beginning of the presentation.
Detailed system requirements
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.3 or later
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
Mac OS X, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.4, 10.8
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6; OpenSuSE 11.3
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- Apple supported devices: iPad, iPad2, iPad3; iPhone 4 and 4 S, iPod touch (3rd generation minimum recommended)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 4.3.x, 5.x, or 6.x (5.x or higher recommended)
- Android supported devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1), ASUS Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7”) , Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2, Nexus 7
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.2 and higher
- Android AIR Runtime required: 3.2 or higher
- Bandwidth: 512Kbps for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications. Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.
- Enhancing Productivity in Electronics Cooling by incorporating EDA and MCAD Design workflowhttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/introduction-to-flotherm-xt Jun 6, 2013 : Fremont, CA
- Thermal Characterization of Electronic Components & Systemshttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/thermal-characterization-seminar Jun 11, 2013 : Stuttgart, DE
- Thermal Characterization of Electronic Components & Systemshttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/thermal-characterization-seminar Sep 18, 2013 : Frankfurt, DE
- Thermal Characterization of Electronic Components & Systemshttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/thermal-characterization-seminar Nov 13, 2013 : Frankfurt, DE
- FloEFD Software Hands-on Workshophttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/floefd-software-hands-on-workshop Jun 19, 2013 : Frankfurt, Germany - (Electronics Cooling Session)
- FloEFD Software Hands-on Workshophttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/floefd-software-hands-on-workshop Jun 19, 2013 : Frankfurt, Germany - (Mechanical & Electronics Cooling Sessions)
- FloEFD Software Hands-on Workshophttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/floefd-software-hands-on-workshop Jun 19, 2013 : Frankfurt, Germany - (Mechanical Session)
- A Step Change in Automotive System Simulation – 1D/3D Integrationhttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/a-step-change-in-automotive-system-simulation---1d-3d-integration Jul 3, 2013 : Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon, UK
- A Step Change in Mil/Aero System Simulation – 1D/3D Integrationhttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/a-step-change-in-mil-aero-system-simulation---1d-3d-integration Jul 11, 2013 : Mentor Graphics, Newbury, UK