Identifying Thermal Bottlenecks and Shortcut Opportunities
There are currently no dates scheduled for this event. However a recording of a previous session is available as an on-demand web seminar.View This On-Demand Web Seminar Now
Electronics thermal management involves the design of an electronics system to facilitate the effective removal of heat from the active surface of an integrated circuit (the heat source) out to a colder ambient surrounding.
As the heat travels from the source to the ambient it passes through various thermal bottlenecks. It also encounters areas where there are opportunities to insert new 'shortcut' heat flow paths. Identifying the locations and relative magnitudes of such thermal bottlenecks and shortcut opportunities as part of simulation post-processing will allow fewer and more effective thermal design modifications to be identified and implemented. This webinar will introduce the concepts involved and demonstrate a worked example.
What You Will Learn
This web seminar will introduce the concepts involved in rerouting thermal bottlenecks through new heat flow paths, including:
- A real-world example of the concept
- "Design by Simulation" in electronics cooling
About the Presenter
Dr. Robin Bornoff
Robin achieved his Mechanical Engineering Degree from Brunel University in 1992. He was awarded his PhD from Brunel University in 1995 for CFD research. Robin joined Mentor Graphics Corporation, Mechanical Analysis Division (formerly Flomerics Ltd) after his PhD as an application and support engineer, specializing in the application of CFD to electronics cooling and the design of the built environment. He is now the Product Manager responsible for the FloTHERM, FloVENT and FloTHERM.PCBs software.
Who Should Attend
- Mechanical Engineers
- Engineers involved in thermal design
- Engineers involved in electronics cooling designs
- FloTHERM customers
What do I need to watch and hear this web seminar?
Mentor Graphics’ web seminars are delivered using Adobe Connect. You will be able to login to the seminar room 15 minutes prior to the start time on the day of the presentation. You can hear the audio using your computer’s speakers via VoIP (Voice over IP) and background music will play prior to the beginning of the presentation.
Detailed system requirements
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.3 or later
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
Mac OS X, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.4, 10.8
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6; OpenSuSE 11.3
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- Apple supported devices: iPad, iPad2, iPad3; iPhone 4 and 4 S, iPod touch (3rd generation minimum recommended)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 4.3.x, 5.x, or 6.x (5.x or higher recommended)
- Android supported devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1), ASUS Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7”) , Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2, Nexus 7
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.2 and higher
- Android AIR Runtime required: 3.2 or higher
- Bandwidth: 512Kbps for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications. Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.
- Enhancing Productivity in Electronics Cooling by incorporating EDA and MCAD Design workflowhttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/introduction-to-flotherm-xt Jun 6, 2013 : Fremont, CA
- Thermal Characterization of Electronic Components & Systemshttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/thermal-characterization-seminar Jun 11, 2013 : Stuttgart, DE
- Thermal Characterization of Electronic Components & Systemshttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/thermal-characterization-seminar Sep 18, 2013 : Frankfurt, DE
- Thermal Characterization of Electronic Components & Systemshttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/thermal-characterization-seminar Nov 13, 2013 : Frankfurt, DE
- FloEFD Software Hands-on Workshophttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/floefd-software-hands-on-workshop Jun 19, 2013 : Frankfurt, Germany - (Electronics Cooling Session)
- FloEFD Software Hands-on Workshophttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/floefd-software-hands-on-workshop Jun 19, 2013 : Frankfurt, Germany - (Mechanical & Electronics Cooling Sessions)
- FloEFD Software Hands-on Workshophttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/floefd-software-hands-on-workshop Jun 19, 2013 : Frankfurt, Germany - (Mechanical Session)
- A Step Change in Automotive System Simulation – 1D/3D Integrationhttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/a-step-change-in-automotive-system-simulation---1d-3d-integration Jul 3, 2013 : Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon, UK
- A Step Change in Mil/Aero System Simulation – 1D/3D Integrationhttp://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/events/a-step-change-in-mil-aero-system-simulation---1d-3d-integration Jul 11, 2013 : Mentor Graphics, Newbury, UK