Thermal Characterization Introduction
This technical seminar explores thermal measurement methods for semi-conductor component level thermal characterization. It introduces methods and industry standards applied to evaluating IC component structure via transient thermal testing and ways to assess component thermal performance, quality and reliability from singular component and chip level to LED lighting and power electronics applications.
This 2.5 hour session with additional time for questions will feature a live testing demonstration and focuses on capabilities with Mentor Graphics T3Ster, transient thermal test equipment.
Places are limited – please register now.
What You Will Learn
- Introduction to thermal characterization and measurement applications for assessing:
- Quality – e.g deriving IC Package internal resistances and capacitances along the heat flow path to identify structural deviation
- Performance – accurate, repeatable junction temperature measurement and RthJc calculation
- Reliability – e.g power cycling studies in conjunction with thermal characterization
- LED lighting applications
- Thermal Interface TIM material thermal Characterization
- Important standards (incl. JEDEC JESD STD 51-14) discussion and equipment set up and post processing calculations:
- Using T3Ster to determine junction-to-case thermal resistance (RthJC )
- Understanding the “structure function” derived from post processing transient thermal measurement and what it can indicate
- Demonstration: 1-3 examples will be tested live to illustrate test methods to determine Junction Temperature, Junction-to-case thermal resistance and other studies.
- Using Measured Data in electronics cooling simulation ( via FloTHERM software) for accurate validated compact thermal models
- Implementing T3Ster successfully – a few examples from lighting, power electronics (incl. IGBTs, MOSFETS), Thermal Interface Material (TIM) Characterization to IC component level testing
Who Should Attend
- Electronics Thermal Test Engineers
- Reliability & Quality Engineers
- Materials Scientists & Engineers
- Power Electronics Component Test Engineers
- Research Scientists
- IC Test Technician/Lab Managers
- Package Design Engineers
The Modern Picture of Simulation Driven Design: Findings from the 2013 Study
This webinar provides an up to date picture of the state of simulation driven design by sharing findings from a 2013 study.
Modeling Plant Cooling Systems
In this webinar we will show how Flowmaster 1D system simulation software can help you quickly and easily design and characterize your plant's various cooling systems.
Reliability in Networking and Telecom Systems – Managing Excessive Heat
The main source of heat in electronic equipment is their semiconductor chips, and the temperature sensitivities of these chips presents a challenge in designing cooling solutions. Overheating causes the...