The Challenges of Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Cooling and 1D Thermo-Fluid Solution to System Design
This presentation sets out to demonstrate how the Flowmaster V7 thermo-fluid simulation tool can be applied to the increasingly important challenge of modeling of battery cooling systems for Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV) and Electric Vehicles (EV). It also considers both the technical and commercial benefits of using 1D CFD simulation early in the Product Delivery Life Cycle, as well as providing an overview of Flowmaster capabilities and how they can be applied to the System Design Process.
This important background sets the scene for the primary focus of the presentation, which is to explore a case study for modeling battery pack cooling, and how Flowmaster tools and techniques can be applied. The Case Study specifically discusses:
- The design challenges, and relative advantages/disadvantages of Liquid versus Air cooling strategies for battery packs.
- The many design considerations on the battery pack itself and how they impact of cooling system specification.
- How Flowmaster’s flexible modeling approach can be successfully applied to create composite models of the Battery Pack (and its individual cells), and understand the:
- Complex interaction between multiple vehicle thermal systems
- Cooling requirements at peak conditions
- Battery pack warm up transient analysis
- The use of Flowmaster’s ‘Variable Parameters’ tool to conduct a parametric study, and typical results produced from an EV cooling network.
- Typical HEV cooling network layouts and their sub-systems
Design and Engineering Consultancy, Voxdale, talk about why they use Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) as part of their design work flow. Examples of their work in the Process and Manufacturing Industries...…View On-demand Web Seminar
Electronics Cooling Simulation with FloTHERM XT: Step Change by Incorporating the EDA and MCAD Design Flows
45-minute web presentation introducing the new electronics cooling product from Mentor Graphics. See how FloTHERM XT can help you to make your whole design process a more streamlined and efficient process.…View On-demand Web Seminar
Other Related Resources
Success Story: Battery electric vehicles, or BEVs, not only allow for emission free traveling but are also capable of offsetting carbon dioxide emissions in the environment. While the most environmentally conscientious...…View Success Story
Success Story: HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark vessels had multiple pump and pipe work failures within the sea water fire mains. Engineers at Babcock Marine simulated real onboard operating line-ups using Flowmaster, ultimately...…View Success Story
White Paper: With every Kelvin increase in temperature, the risk of avionic component failure increases. For civil and military applications, the thermal characteristics of avionic components directly influence overall...…View White Paper