The Challenges of Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Cooling and 1D Thermo-Fluid Solution to System Design
This presentation sets out to demonstrate how the Flowmaster V7 thermo-fluid simulation tool can be applied to the increasingly important challenge of modeling of battery cooling systems for Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV) and Electric Vehicles (EV). It also considers both the technical and commercial benefits of using 1D CFD simulation early in the Product Delivery Life Cycle, as well as providing an overview of Flowmaster capabilities and how they can be applied to the System Design Process.
This important background sets the scene for the primary focus of the presentation, which is to explore a case study for modeling battery pack cooling, and how Flowmaster tools and techniques can be applied. The Case Study specifically discusses:
- The design challenges, and relative advantages/disadvantages of Liquid versus Air cooling strategies for battery packs.
- The many design considerations on the battery pack itself and how they impact of cooling system specification.
- How Flowmaster’s flexible modeling approach can be successfully applied to create composite models of the Battery Pack (and its individual cells), and understand the:
- Complex interaction between multiple vehicle thermal systems
- Cooling requirements at peak conditions
- Battery pack warm up transient analysis
- The use of Flowmaster’s ‘Variable Parameters’ tool to conduct a parametric study, and typical results produced from an EV cooling network.
- Typical HEV cooling network layouts and their sub-systems
Thermal simulation for design, integration and validation of power electronics modules of Electronic & Hybrid Vehicles
Nowadays car manufacturers have to challenge shorter overall development cycles of vehicles and the time to introduce innovations to the market. Simulation is an essential tool to overcome these challenges....…View Technology Overview
Enhancing Automotive Electronics Thermal Design Productivity – Rapid model creation & bridging the gap between EDA and MCAD design flow with FloTHERM XT
In automotive electronics cooling applications, PCB power density is steadily increasing. Taking an automotive engine control unit as an example thermal design project, this presentation shows how FloTHERM...…View Technology Overview
Selecting the right Thermal Interface Material (TIM) for electronics packages based on accurate thermal measurement data
Thermal Interface Materials (TIMs) are used to establish good thermal contact between mating surfaces in an IC package. With ever increasing power density, especially in power electronics packages, it is...…View Technology Overview
Other Related Resources
White Paper: This winter will see the launch of the Bromley Baseboard at a few select skiresorts. Under development for the last four years, it's fascinating just how methodical, considered and patient the development...…View White Paper
White Paper: In recent years there has been an explosion in LED-LCD displays, and a proliferation of LED TVs in people's homes. They offer a great picture, great styling with a thin form factor, increased functionality...…View White Paper