The Thermal World According to the JEDEC JC15 Committee
On-demand Web Seminar
The discussion of standards work in thermal simulation will focus on the effort in Compact Thermal Models (CTMs). Among the areas of concern here are: Methodology for generating and validating CTMs file exchange format for importing the model into system-level tools. Supporting a migration path to assist the industry transition from a test-driven to a simulation-driven approach to thermal characterization. A brief update of ongoing work on Multi-Chip Packages will be provided.
The JEDEC JC15 Thermal Standards Committee is pursuing roadmaps for both thermal testing and thermal simulation. In the testing area, this presentation discusses the "classical" JEDEC test metrics, methods of measurement, and their proper use in thermal characterization. The discussion of standards work in thermal simulation focuses on the effort in Compact Thermal Models (CTMs).
Among the areas of concern here are:
- the methodology for generating and validating CTMs,
- the file exchange format for importing the model into system-level tools, and
- supporting a migration path to assist the industry transition from a test-driven to a simulation-driven approach to thermal characterization.
What You Will Learn
- The history and background of current thermal metrics
- Experimental details of current JEDEC thermal standards
- The work of the JEDEC JC15 committee and the status of its current activities
- Details of 2-Resistor and DELPHI Compact Thermal Model methodologies
About the Presenter
Bruce Guenin is Senior Staff Engineer at Sun Microsystems and previously Director of Thermal Characterization at Amkor. Bruce is Chairman of JEDEC JC15 committee.
Who Should View
- Mechanical and Thermal designers using thermal metrics in hand calculations
- Mechanical and Thermal designers using Compact Thermal Models in electronics cooling software
- Managers wishing to understand the state-of-the-art in thermal design and data available
FloTHERM v10.1 New Features Presentation
The new features available in FloTHERM v10.1 will be presented and demonstrated.…
Heatsink 101: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
This web seminar will focus on how heatsinks work and how to design a heatsink while considering all the critical factors such as size, airflow, cost and attachment methods.…
Other Related Resources
How to Predict Component Temperatures for Complex Network and Telecommunications Equipment
White Paper: The insides of network and telecom equipment consist of a complex assembly of many solid objects (PCBs, electronics packages and devices, cabling, fans, and heatsinks, for example). Airflow is confined...…
Identifying Optimal Thermal Designs for Network and Telecommunications Equipment
White Paper: Networking and telecom systems need to run 24/7, and an unreliable system can expose the system supplier to significant warranty, recall, and reputation costs. More functionality and higher performing electronic...…
How to Optimize PCB Thermal Design for Complex Network and Telecommunications Equipment
White Paper: Networking and telecom systems need to run 24/7, and continually increasing computing requirements and network traffic are increasing power densities in enclosures and on boards. These demands require ever-more...…