The Thermal World According to the JEDEC JC15 Committee
On-demand Web Seminar
The discussion of standards work in thermal simulation will focus on the effort in Compact Thermal Models (CTMs). Among the areas of concern here are: Methodology for generating and validating CTMs file exchange format for importing the model into system-level tools. Supporting a migration path to assist the industry transition from a test-driven to a simulation-driven approach to thermal characterization. A brief update of ongoing work on Multi-Chip Packages will be provided.
The JEDEC JC15 Thermal Standards Committee is pursuing roadmaps for both thermal testing and thermal simulation. In the testing area, this presentation discusses the "classical" JEDEC test metrics, methods of measurement, and their proper use in thermal characterization. The discussion of standards work in thermal simulation focuses on the effort in Compact Thermal Models (CTMs).
Among the areas of concern here are:
- the methodology for generating and validating CTMs,
- the file exchange format for importing the model into system-level tools, and
- supporting a migration path to assist the industry transition from a test-driven to a simulation-driven approach to thermal characterization.
What You Will Learn
- The history and background of current thermal metrics
- Experimental details of current JEDEC thermal standards
- The work of the JEDEC JC15 committee and the status of its current activities
- Details of 2-Resistor and DELPHI Compact Thermal Model methodologies
About the Presenter
Bruce Guenin is Senior Staff Engineer at Sun Microsystems and previously Director of Thermal Characterization at Amkor. Bruce is Chairman of JEDEC JC15 committee.
Who Should View
- Mechanical and Thermal designers using thermal metrics in hand calculations
- Mechanical and Thermal designers using Compact Thermal Models in electronics cooling software
- Managers wishing to understand the state-of-the-art in thermal design and data available
Heatsink 101: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
This web seminar will focus on how heatsinks work and how to design a heatsink while considering all the critical factors such as size, airflow, cost and attachment methods.…
Workflow Automation with FloTHERM v10.0
Learn how to automate aspects of your thermal design with FloTHERM v10.0 to increase productivity and shorten the thermal design process.…
Other Related Resources
7 Key Considerations For Effective Chip-Package Thermal Co-Design
White Paper: Chip-package co-design is important for several reasons. Designing a large high power die, e.g. a System-on-Chip (SoC) without considering how to get the heat out is likely to lead to problems later on,...…
Seiko Epson Corporation - Empowering Engineers since 1989
Journal Article: By adopting FloEFD, Seiko Epson designers were able to affect designs as they developed, with the confidence that any discrepancies in results would be picked up by the analysis team during testing. …