The Thermal World According to the JEDEC JC15 Committee
On-demand Web Seminar
The discussion of standards work in thermal simulation will focus on the effort in Compact Thermal Models (CTMs). Among the areas of concern here are: Methodology for generating and validating CTMs file exchange format for importing the model into system-level tools. Supporting a migration path to assist the industry transition from a test-driven to a simulation-driven approach to thermal characterization. A brief update of ongoing work on Multi-Chip Packages will be provided.
The JEDEC JC15 Thermal Standards Committee is pursuing roadmaps for both thermal testing and thermal simulation. In the testing area, this presentation discusses the "classical" JEDEC test metrics, methods of measurement, and their proper use in thermal characterization. The discussion of standards work in thermal simulation focuses on the effort in Compact Thermal Models (CTMs).
Among the areas of concern here are:
- the methodology for generating and validating CTMs,
- the file exchange format for importing the model into system-level tools, and
- supporting a migration path to assist the industry transition from a test-driven to a simulation-driven approach to thermal characterization.
What You Will Learn
- The history and background of current thermal metrics
- Experimental details of current JEDEC thermal standards
- The work of the JEDEC JC15 committee and the status of its current activities
- Details of 2-Resistor and DELPHI Compact Thermal Model methodologies
About the Presenter
Bruce Guenin is Senior Staff Engineer at Sun Microsystems and previously Director of Thermal Characterization at Amkor. Bruce is Chairman of JEDEC JC15 committee.
Who Should View
- Mechanical and Thermal designers using thermal metrics in hand calculations
- Mechanical and Thermal designers using Compact Thermal Models in electronics cooling software
- Managers wishing to understand the state-of-the-art in thermal design and data available
FloTHERM® is powerful 3D computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software that predicts airflow and heat transfer in and around electronic equipment, from components and boards up to complete systems.…View Technology Overview
Electronics Cooling Simulation with FloTHERM XT: Step Change by Incorporating the EDA and MCAD Design Flows
45-minute web presentation introducing the new electronics cooling product from Mentor Graphics. See how FloTHERM XT can help you to make your whole design process a more streamlined and efficient process.…View On-demand Web Seminar
Other Related Resources
White Paper: The main source of heat in electronic equipment is their semiconductor chips, and the temperature sensitivities of these chips presents a challenge in designing cooling solutions. Overheating causes the...…View White Paper
White Paper: Why is Enclosure Thermal Design Important? Before we look at the 12 key considerations in enclosure thermal design let´s first consider why thermal issues need to be considered at the system, or enclosure...…View White Paper
White Paper: Many aspects of a PCB’s performance are determined during detailed design, e.g. making a trace a specific length for timing reasons. Timing issues are also affected by temperature differences between components....…View White Paper