SERDES Design Solutions: Case Studies Web Seminar
There are currently no dates scheduled for this event. However a recording of a previous session is available as an on-demand web seminar.View This On-Demand Web Seminar Now
This session will walk you through two high speed serial channel case studies that will demonstrate how analysis in HyperLynx provides the essential knowledge of how a channel's physical characteristics affect its electrical performance. This knowledge empowers the designer to make appropriate design trade-offs. Appropriate trade-offs provide the opportunity to shorten the design cycle, reduce manufacturing cost while still providing conservative safety margins.
The first case study demonstrates how to quantify the performance degradation caused by replacing blind and buried or back-drilled vias with through-hole vias. Following these steps, the design engineer can make an informed decision whether they can omit the expense of back-drilling for their channel design.
The second case study demonstrates how to quantify the effect of length miss-matches in the individual traces that make up the differential high speed serial channel. Following these steps, the design engineer can work with the layout engineer to decide if small deviations from trace length matching constraints are acceptable for their design.
What You Will Learn
- How to efficiently characterize the electrical performance of multi-Gbps channels in the frequency and time domains
- How to apply solution space analysis to make cost/performance trade-offs
- How to quantify the channel performance penalties incurred by introducing small asymmetries in its layout
About the Presenter
Ian has over 20 years of experience in leading the development and marketing of advanced electronic design automation tools. An early evangelist of specialized EDA tools for signal integrity analysis, Ian has the unique distinction of having experienced all facets of signal integrity tool design, development, marketing and support. He was the architect of three generations of signal integrity tool suites marketed by Intergraph Electronics, VeriBest Inc., and Mentor Graphics Inc.
Ian has been an active contributor to the IEEE and industry working groups including IBIS and CFI. He has presented many papers on signal integrity and other EDA related subjects. He is currently a signal integrity marketing consultant working with Mentor Graphics Inc.
Ian Dodd graduated with a BSc (with honours) in Physics from Loughborough University, England and a MSc, in Technological Economics, Stirling University, Scotland.
Who Should Attend
- Electrical Engineers
- Engineering Managers
- Layout Designers
What do I need to watch and hear this web seminar?
Mentor Graphics’ web seminars are delivered using Adobe Connect. You will be able to login to the seminar room 15 minutes prior to the start time on the day of the presentation. You can hear the audio using your computer’s speakers via VoIP (Voice over IP) and background music will play prior to the beginning of the presentation.
Detailed system requirements
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.3 or later
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
Mac OS X, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.4, 10.8
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor and 512MB of RAM
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6; OpenSuSE 11.3
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3
- Apple supported devices: iPad, iPad2, iPad3; iPhone 4 and 4 S, iPod touch (3rd generation minimum recommended)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 4.3.x, 5.x, or 6.x (5.x or higher recommended)
- Android supported devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1), ASUS Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7”) , Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2, Nexus 7
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.2 and higher
- Android AIR Runtime required: 3.2 or higher
- Bandwidth: 512Kbps for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications. Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.
- Mentor Forum PCBhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb May 22, 2013 : Dan Caesarea Hotel, IL
- Mentor Forum PCBhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb Jun 20, 2013 : Alba Innovation Centre - Livingston, GB
- Mentor Forum PCBhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb Jun 25, 2013 : Novotel Stevenage, UK
- Mentor Forum PCB Frenchhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb-french May 28, 2013 : Mentor Graphics Office Meudon La Forêt
- Mentor Forum PCB Frenchhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb-french Jun 20, 2013 : Ibis Lausanne-Crissier, Suisse
- Integrating Assembly Panel Design in the NPI Processhttp://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/events/integrating-assembly-panel-design-in-the-npi-process May 29, 2013 : Online, 2:00 PM Europe/London
- Integrating Assembly Panel Design in the NPI Processhttp://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/events/integrating-assembly-panel-design-in-the-npi-process May 29, 2013 : Online, 2:00 PM US/Eastern
- Mentor Forum PCB Germanhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb-german May 29, 2013 : Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz - Windisch
- Mentor Forum PCB Germanhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb-german Jun 4, 2013 : Holiday Inn Nürnberg City Centre
- Mentor Forum PCB Germanhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb-german Jun 6, 2013 : NH Berlin Alexanderplatz
- Mentor Forum PCB Germanhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb-german Jun 13, 2013 : Mentor Graphics Office Düsseldorf
- Séminaire HYPERLYNXhttp://www.mentor.com/events/s-minaire-hyperlynx May 29, 2013 : Paris, Franice
- Séminaire HYPERLYNXhttp://www.mentor.com/events/s-minaire-hyperlynx Jun 5, 2013 : Rennes, FR
- Séminaire HYPERLYNXhttp://www.mentor.com/events/s-minaire-hyperlynx Jun 12, 2013 : Grenoble, FR
- Séminaire HYPERLYNXhttp://www.mentor.com/events/s-minaire-hyperlynx Jun 26, 2013 : Toulouse, FR
- PADS Roadshowhttp://www.mentor.com/events/pads-roadshow-seminar Jun 4, 2013 : Tallinn, EE
- PADS Roadshowhttp://www.mentor.com/events/pads-roadshow-seminar Jun 5, 2013 : Riga, LV
- PADS Roadshowhttp://www.mentor.com/events/pads-roadshow-seminar Jun 6, 2013 : Vilnius, LT
- Powerful, Integrated and Affordable PADShttp://www.mentor.com/events/pads-powerful-integrated-affordable Jun 4, 2013 : San Diego, CA
- HyperLynx Signal and Power Integrity Lunch Seminarhttp://www.mentor.com/events/hyperlynx-si-pi-seminar Jun 6, 2013 : Fremont, CA
- Touch HyperLynxhttp://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/events/touch-hyperlynx-workshop Jun 12, 2013 : Sofia, BG
- Touch HyperLynxhttp://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/events/touch-hyperlynx-workshop Jun 13, 2013 : Bucharest, RO
- Touch HyperLynxhttp://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/events/touch-hyperlynx-workshop Jun 14, 2013 : Belgrade, RS
Approaches to Optimizing Your Manufacturing Results Through DFM Analysis Tools and Through Partnering With the Right Contract Manufacturer
- Approaches to Optimizing Your Manufacturing Results Through DFM Analysis Tools and Through Partnering With the Right Contract Manufacturerhttp://www.mentor.com/events/approaches-to-optimizing-your-manufacturing-results-through-dfm-analysis-tools-and-through-partnering-with-the-right-contract-manufacturer Jun 13, 2013 : Beaverton, OR
- Mentor Forum PCB Italyhttp://www.mentor.com/events/mentor-forum-pcb-italy Jun 18, 2013 : COSMOHOTEL PALACE, Cinisello Balsamo (MI)