Enhancing Multi-Gbps Simulations With The New HyperLynx 3D Full-wave Solver
On-demand Web Seminar
This webcast examines how full-wave, 3D EM modeling methodologies can improve simulation accuracy for multi-gigabit systems, where even discontinuities introduced by small structures on boards and packages can significantly degrade signal quality.
- Presents the importance of advanced electromagnetic modeling methodologies in multi-gigabit system designs
- Introduces the newly acquired, full-wave 3D solution in HyperLynx
- Shows how this proven 3D solution can be used to accurately model discontinuities on boards and complex nets in packages
- Demonstrates design and verification flows using the 3D field solver in the HyperLynx signal-integrity simulation environment
As system data rates climb to multi-gigabit-per-second (multi-Gbps) levels, it becomes increasingly important to consider the complex effects of non-uniform interconnect discontinuities in addition to other signal integrity issues. This webcast examines the use of full-wave, three-dimensional electromagnetic modeling methodologies to improve simulation accuracy for multi-Gbps systems.
There are two basic types of interconnect discontinuities:
- Irregularly shaped interconnect elements on the printed circuit board (PCB), such as vias, bends, and non-uniform trace
- The packages that connect ICs and boards
In the past, static or quasi-static field solvers were used to characterize uniform traces on boards and packages, while small, irregularly shaped elements were approximated or ignored. Such methodologies are sufficient for modeling and simulation of signals with relatively slow edge rates.
For multi-Gbps systems, however, especially those with data rates over 5 Gbps, even discontinuities introduced by small structures on boards and packages can significantly degrade signal quality, resulting in closed eye diagrams and unacceptable bit error rate (BER). Full-wave-based, three-dimensional analysis is needed to account for electromagnetic coupling and wave effects.
About the Presenters
Dr. Zhen Mu
Dr. Zhen Mu is currently the product market manager at Mentor Graphics, responsible for signal integrity and power integrity products for printed circuit board and package analysis. Prior to Mentor, she worked at Cadence Design Systems as a member of the consulting staff and as the leading technologist for high-speed simulations. At Sycamore Networks, Dr. Mu was the principal signal integrity engineer for high-speed systems designs. Dr. Mu received her B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees from the University of Science and Technology, Beijing China, in 1982 and 1985, respectively, and her Ph.D degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Manitoba, Canada in 1994. Dr. Mu holds two US patents and one Canadian patent.
Dr. Jian-X Zheng
Dr. Jian-X Zheng received the B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical engineering from Tsinghua University, Beijing China, in 1984 and 1986, respectively, and a Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 1990. He founded Zeland Software, Inc., specializing in 3D full-wave EM simulation products, in 1993. Dr. Zheng has been leading development of the IE3D Full-Wave EM Design System for a broad range of high-frequency and wide-band electronic design applications. Dr. Zheng has more than 26 years of experience developing full-wave EM technologies.
Who Should View
- SI engineers for high-speed digital applications
- Hardware designers involved in system-level multi-Gbps designs
- System-level project managers
What You Will Learn
- The effects of interconnect discontinuities on multi-Gbps system designs
- The importance of using full-wave solutions for high-speed digital applications on PCBs and packages
- What you can do today with the HyperLynx SI 3D solution
Learn how our high-speed technology journey began 25 years ago with a vision for an easy-to-use signal integrity tool for project engineers. Out of that vision, HyperLynx was born. Since its inception,...…View Technology Overview
Learn how to minimize heating effects of power delivery networks (PDN’s) through proper IC power management and thermal design.…View On-demand Web Seminar
Other Related Resources
White Paper: Moore’s law, applied to data rates, has pushed PCB circuits so fast that the layout becomes part of the circuit. In designs such as DDR3 and PCIe, the fastest memory and high-speed serial performance...…View White Paper
Success Story: Using Mentor Graphics Xtreme PCB and HyperLynx PI PFU Limited reported savings in development time of up to 65%.…View Success Story